Monday, August 25, 2008

Scams on Indian Railways

I was going by Nizamuddin express, #2721, from Hyderabad to New Delhi. This train has almost non-existent pantry service. Somewhere before Nagpur, at around 9 AM, one guy went around in the bogey with a paper slip in hand. He was asking everyone if they need lunch. When In enquired if he is from pantry, the answer was in affirmative and he told that lunch will be delivered in half an hour only. That guy was wearing dress like pantry staffs only, so we got easily convinced that he is from pantry staff. At Nagpur, he came up with some food packets in plain plastics packed in aluminum foil and took money from us immediately. When train started from station, I noticed this guy disembarking from train and then I understood how he cheated us claiming to be from pantry. Still, I was not very sure. Again in the evening, some other guy tried same tactics near Bina junction. This time, after taking dinner packet, I asked him to take money after 30 mins since he is pantry staff. He immediately took the packet away from me and left. This confirmed my suspicion that it is an organized scam running in collusion with pantry staff who were coming to passengers only with some snacks some times and never took lunch/dinner orders.

Recently, I came to know that the beggar boys who come on bogeys for cleaning and collecting some money are also part of some organized gang who pays money to railways staff for this freedom. Earlier, they would never come to AC bogey, but now they have started even there.

del.icio.us Tags: ,,

No comments: