Monday, March 17, 2008

Windows Live Admin center, Email solution and web publishing

Windows Live Admin Center

So I own 2 domains, http://atulkumar.name & http://nobahyderabad.org since long, but never managed to publish much on these. Second one is till running, but first was not used since long. Finally I decided to do something this weekend and was searching through when I discovered windows live Admin centre. Earlier, my attempts with Google apps & blogger had failed, so I was apprehensive. But, finally took the plunge.

Problems started now. Very first, I will summarize that http://Net4Domains.com sucks in a big way. They are trying hard that people do not use other hosting providers than their own service. This mans everything in their web interface is very out of standards. You listen about CNAME, TXT and SRV records on your hosting provider and these records are not even visible on this site. If you want to add subdomains, there is no way to add more subdomains than one free available. I do not understand what is ABT record. When I am trying setup CNAME record for my blog, it won't allow me to provide a domain name like go.domains.live.com, but asks for IP address instead. Sane is true for MX record where IP address is unnecessarily asked. 

Anyway, I finally managed to figure out control centre of this registrar and added the MX record of Windows Live hotmail and created an email id "Actual AT AtulKumar DOT name". There is clear instruction on the live admin centre as to what needs to be done for that same. When Net4Domains asks for IP address, use http://iptools.com to figure out IP address of the domain name given in the Admin centre "Domain settings" area. So, even this was done.

But, nowhere Windows Live admin centre says that POP3/SMTP support is not available with http://mail.live.com. I spent enough time trying to setup account on the Windows Mobile 6.0 and Outlook 2007. Nowhere it worked as a way GMAIL works. It will always ask me for credential and then fail to connect. Finally I figured out that "Outlook connector" is one solution on desktop. And it worked like a charm. I am not sure how it works, but it uses MAPI instead of POP3/SMTP it seems.

On Windows Mobile, I had to Add this account as my Windows Live ID and then mail started working like charm. So, this ends the Mail story. Once everything is setup, it is very easy, but till that time, I had tough time over weekend.

 

More will follow about net4Domains incompetency and how to setup blog.

 

No comments: